Wednesday, 29 January 2014

Love Lessons by Jacqueline Wilson

I have been a fan of Jaqueline Wilson since I was 12 years old, and she is one of the only authors that I have always stuck by, and constantly reread her work. Her demographic I would say is 10-16 year olds, but I find that reading her books as an adult of 20 brings a whole lot more to the books, and the characters make a lot more sense. Her books can usually be picked up in a charity shop for £1, and I'm slowly working on building up my collection again as all of mine from my childhood seem to have gone missing. Anyway - onto the review. Just a quick warning there may be a few spoilers in this review, but I will try not to give away too much of the plot line.

Briefly speaking, the book is about a young girl named Prue who has a very controlling father, and has therefore been homeschooled for most of her life. Her father has a stroke, and so she is forced to go to public school while he recovers, and there she meets and falls in love with her art teacher, Rax. The book documents her feels of the first time she falls in love, as well as dealing with issues such as abusive parents, sibling rivalry, growing up and school life. 

I remember the very first time I read Love Lessons - I was in school, and was pretty scandalised by what happened but I really liked it at the same time. I've read it two more times since. There is something just so naughty and yet unputdownable about a romance between a student and a teacher. It builds so organically, and so wonderfully within this book that you just have to keep reading to find out what happens next. As always, Jacqueline's writing style is impeccable and the heart she puts into her work is so obvious. The characters are all wonderful - even Prue's controlling father is well rounded and not seen as the bad guy too much. Everything about it is relatable.

It was so brave of Jacqueline Wilson to tackle this subject - a teacher/student relationship is not something to take lightly, particularly if it is to a young, impressionable audience. But I am really glad that she of all people have tackled this issue. My first response was 'be careful what you're writing about...' as it is such a touchy issue, and yet she manages to tackle it in a very clever, thoughtful and respectful way. Having a schoolgirl crush on a teacher is so very normal, and the little things that Prue does to try and integrate herself into Rax's life are not necessarily healthy, but are very real. It is made completely clear that a student/teacher relationship is wrong, but it's dealt with in a very emotional way. 

Yes - this book may break your heart just a little bit. I always forget how Jacqueline likes to leave her books quite open ended, but I actively found myself searching for fanfiction about this book because I was just not done with it when it finished. I am still feeling that little stab in my heart just thinking about it now.

Overall, I would recommend this book to everyone and anyone over the age of 14. It is a quick and wonderful read and I promise you that you will not regret it. It will always get five stars from me.

 Watching:
The Voice Series 3
  Listening: Frozen Soundtrack
 Reading: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour
 Looking Forward To: Moving out :)
 Feeling: Happy

2 comments:

  1. I've been a big fan since I was about 12 too and recently started reading her books again, I get a totally different meaning from them now then I did year ago! Also I'm currently listening to the Frozen soundtrack too haha!

    Rebecca Coco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqueline Wilson used to be one of my favourites! I LOVED 'secrets' the most. I remember I wrote to her and got a post card back which thrilled me more than I can explain, ha ha!

    Love, Lou xx
    http://bluebird6.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete