Thursday, 8 August 2013

F.A.W Day One: Mini decorating mission

Seeing as I think I will be staying in this house for quite a while longer now, I decided I may as well have a room that I like and that I have put my heart into. My room is an odd little shape. One end of the room has a cut out section, half the room is the airing cupboard, and the other half is this strange square shaped section. Recently it has looked really awful, with this old trunk and the bin there, and it made me so angry just looking at it every single time. Last night I was in a frustrated mood anyway, so I decided enough was enough and I was going to move my chest of drawers there, move my TV to another part of the room and actually make this little space into something lovely.

The before shot above what how it was when I woke up this morning, trust me when I say it's been a LOT worse than that recently, just a pile of junk really. I wanted an area where I could use alll my make up and beauty costmetics really easily, and display my favourites. I used old Glossybox boxes to store my nailvarnishes and the makeup I don't use very often, then I used the lids to put in my everyday make up on the top of my new dressing table. My skincare also has a pride and place now - Caroline Hirons said that a bathroom was too hot to store skin products, so I took her advice and moved them into my bedroom. The mirror  on the wall is actually a weird wood colour in the before and during pictures, so I bought some white spray paint today, covered the mirror part, and gave it  few coats. I have never done any kind of furniture painting or used spray paint, so it was a bit interesting. It's not a perfect finish, but it's good enough and I prefer it a lot. I'm so happy with how this part of my room looks now, finally it actually looks like part of a bedroom.

I'm hoping to try and do something to the rest of my room too, but I don't quite know what yet. Perhaps I will paint my desk white too? Hmm. It's in such bad condition I am not sure that it could stand it to be honest. We will see. I did not realise how much utter rubbish I had in my room though, I have thrown so much out that was just useless tat that I would never want to ever use again and it feels great!

On a different note, I am really not happy with the design of this blog. Today I removed the background because it did not look quite right, and now it just looks a little plain. I would love to plan a whole layout, but I'm not too hot on blogger's editing process. I used to code websites from scratch, but this is just so different from what I am used to! I'm thinking of a woodland illustration kind of theme? I may even illustrate it myself with  watercolours or something?! I don't know, I know I change my blog layout a lot, I just really enjoy seeing what I can do with it and finding something that I like.

Last night I started crocheting a DINOSAUR from a pattern that I got from a site called planetjune.com - its a really easy and lovely pattern to follow. If you have been following my blog for any length of time you will know that I love dinosaurs so very much. However, I ran out of stuffing after making the first part of the body and then also I don't think I actually have enough wool to finish the head and legs in the same colour. I'm thinking it may have to have a green body with blue legs or something. Ooooh well. After this I will make it my mission to also make a toy Pterodactyl, as they are my favourites.

Anyway, I am now super tired. Furniture moving and tidying the small little annoying things in my room has really taken it out of me. I'm off to curl up on my bed with the book The Illumination by Kevin Brockmeir for my book club. Coming up soon will be my daily make up collection :)

Question: What is your favourite kind of crafting / DIY?

3 comments:

  1. It feels great cleaning something up, don't you think? I need to do a bit of this soon... xx

    http://bluebird6.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great feeling! I like my room now, it's so much better x

      Delete
  2. I love how you painted it pink, but it's not overly girly <3 Mind if I borrow this idea for my room? Also I do agree with you when you said that editing a blog template is confusing. It literally took me months just to figure out everything!

    xoxo -B ♡ http://msberrystylish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete